I love matte and you should too! Matte has been all over Instagram and Pinterest this year but I haven’t seen many ladies actually do it! Matte nails are super easy and add so much edge to your look. I got my nails done a week ago and picked out a super dark purple OPI shade. The purple was so dark though that it looked black (and still does) unless in really good lighting. I decided to turn it matte to spice it up a bit.
I used Julep’s matte topcoat, and I ordered it online as part of my Maven box for $8. It basically looks like a cloudy topcoat and it works immediately, and nails are fully dry in less than a minute after you put it on. I love not having to deal with wet nails!
Things you should know about matte:
1. All you need is a topcoat. No special polishes or anything. Several brands make them now and you can easily find it at the drugstore.
2. All you need is one coat on top of your polish. Be careful to thoroughly cover your nails though, as any missed bits will look shiny, and uneven application will look streaky.
3. It needs to be reapplied every second day for the freshest look. You nails will slowly start to look shiny again (especially at the tips) if you don’t reapply enough.
4. It will dull colours, so don’t expect them to look the same as they originally did, but this gives you more room to play with colour!
5. It will also work on metallic polish, giving it a sort of frosty finish that looks really nice.
6. Finally, for the love of god do NOT put a normal top coat over a matte top coat.
I did an earlier post with a beautiful matte green look. Click here to see!